Search
  • Taylor Tidwell

Project 2 Milestone 4


For the Android app project, I really wanted to step it up a notch from my IOS app. Along with pushing the app technically, I wanted to make sure I maintained a strong design language and experience throughout. One of the the most difficult aspects of developing this app was incorporating the Google Maps view into an activity layout. I was able to accomplish a static map by using LiteMode and then generating my map markers by creating an array of titles, uses, and square footages to iterate over using a for loop. Creating the map markers was one of the most successful aspects to my app specifically because it give the user a relatively smooth, yet intentionally restrictive way to choose a park location that they would a like a park developed at.


As for the design portion of this app, I felt like my IOS app really lacked in that area, so I wanted to make sure that I did not forfeit any of my design intentions I created in Figma. I made sure to stick with the same color pallets, I used the same fonts, and the UX of the project was as close as I could get to what I had designed in Figma. In the ideation stage of mobile app projects, I used to default to incorporating functionality and user interfaces that don't exist on the native platforms or take an extensive amount of time to develop. With this app I was much more intentional with the user interface design matching Android Studio UI specifically. Below is a video of the Figma app design for the Android Studio project. There are still a few minor design elements that I would Ideally like to match in the app, but overall I think the app matches the same character and design of the mock up.

The portion of the app I would like to optimize would be taking the time to figure out how to actually uniquely generate my park axon graphic each time, rather than just storing all the different combinations of axon jpgs. I believe I ended up needing to design somewhere between 35-40 different park axon combinations and that was only for three four specific scenarios.


Instead I would like to have figured out how to lay individual drawable resource over each other to generate a unique image each time. Going forward, it was incredibly insightful to experience how much longer it takes to code/ build a project in Android Studio than it does in IOS. I ended up needing to spend my entire fall break focusing completely on developing this app. Overall, I am much happier with my Android app than I was with my IOS app. I really wanted to push myself on this app and I feel like I accomplished that here.


15 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Lab 5